QLD Electrical Contractors Insurance

Insurance For Tradies
OR CALL 1300 542 245

If you’re looking to apply for a new contractor’s licence or renew your existing licence, you will need to have insurance in place.

All states in Australia require that electrical contractors hold public liability insurance, but here in Queensland there’s a little more to it.

The Requirements

To apply for your electrical contractors licence you will need the following insurance in place:

  • Broadform liability insurance – minimum $5,000,000
  • Consumer protection insurance – minimum $50,000

Note: Broadform liability is simply another term for combined public and products liability.

The policy must also include cover for each of the following:

  • Liability arising from testing and certification of work in accordance with the Electrical Safety Regulation 2002.
  • Injury or damage arising from faulty design work performed by you including where you did not charge a specific fee for such design work.
  • Injury or damage arising from incorrect advice including where you did not charge a specific fee for such advice.
  • Goods in your care, custody or control.

In addition you will also require a special certificate of currency approved by the Qld Government.

Although broadform liability and consumer protection insurance are listed separately, your actual policy will be a public and products liability policy with the consumer protection option included.

Getting Covered

The requirements for electricians in Qld are unique, and for that reason you can’t just get covered through any old insurance company or broker.

You need to ensure that the policy being provided meets the strict Qld Government guidelines, otherwise your licence application or renewal will be declined.

Here at publicliabilityinsurance.com.au we have teamed up with a well known provider of insurance solutions for tradesmen both in Qld and around Australia.

These guys insure plenty of Qld electricians and can issue the right policy with the approved certificate of currency.

To get a quote on your insurance and to get yourself covered, please complete our online quote form and we will forward your details to an insurance adviser who can assist you.

Why Do I Need It?

The government has put these insurance requirements in place to protect both you and your clients.

If your work results in property damage or personal injury to another person, your insurance will cover the costs provided that you or your business is found liable and the event is not excluded by your policy wording.

This helps you by ensuring that you are not left out of pocket (besides paying the excess) in the event of a claim, and it also protects the other person by ensuring that they get the compensation they need.

For more information or to obtain a quote on your electrician insurance needs please call our office on 1300 542 245 or click on the quote button below.